Sunday, March 24, 2013

Human Frailty...and where my thoughts went from there

I was reading something tonight and loved this little gem: "If we look for human frailty in humans, we will always find it."

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I am constantly guilty of this search. Why is it so easy to focus on the negative?

When I went to my health coach training in Salt Lake a couple weeks ago, one of the speakers reminded us that it's easy to be successful, it's just easier to be lazy. I think that negative thinking is tied into that. If we focus on negative thoughts, then we can feel justified for our laziness, whether it comes to relationships, our professions, religion, etc.

On my health coach team we refer to this as "red light thinking." It stops us in our tracks. There is no progress. If we want to grow as humans, wives, mothers, neighbors, professionals, disciples of Christ (or enlightened individuals, whatever your religious leanings are), we have to retrain our brains to think positively. It's hard. It's easier to be lazy and look at everything wrong in your life and in the people around you. But if that is your focus, I hope you also enjoy sitting at traffic intersections looking at red lights.

1 comment:

Taber & Rebecca said...

Great point! I completely agree with you.